Part-time Mental Health Counselor
The Chicago Academy for the Arts, an independent, college-preparatory high school for approximately 145 young artists, seeks a part-time counselor to work with students and to support staff 10-12 hours per week, spread out over the course of 2-3 days.
Under the direction of the Head of School, the School Counselor will be primarily responsible for supporting the emotional well being of referred, identified, or self-identified students. The ability to communicate well with adolescents, parents, and faculty/staff is essential; close collaboration with the Dean and department chairs is expected.
The Counselor will take an active role in determining if a student needs additional support outside of school, and knowledge of psycho-social resources in the community is critical.
Specific duties and responsibilities will include:
- Maintaining regular office hours to meet with students, families, and faculty/staff
- Providing crisis intervention and support services for students
- Maintaining on-going, confidential records of contacts and track emotional well being of students
- Keeping Principal and Dean informed of student issues
- Directing students and families toward appropriate outside resources for continued evaluation or counseling
- Giving faculty members guidance in handling specific student issues
- Working closely with the Dean in the development and implementation of health and wellness programs, related curricula, and community resources
The ideal candidate will have LPC/LCPC/LCSW credentials or a school counseling license and experience working with adolescents, be and will f multicultural and LGBT competent, and fully embrace The Academy’s unique mission and culture. Experience with independent schools is a plus. The Academy is committed to building a diverse staff and strongly encourages applications from people of color and from people of all other underrepresented groups.
Interested and qualified candidates should send a thoughtful letter of interest and resume to Jason Patera, Head of School, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Chicago Academy for the Arts is an equal opportunity employer committed to building a culturally diverse faculty and staff. All qualified applicants — regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law — are strongly encouraged to apply.