Part-time Mental Health Counselor
The Chicago Academy for the Arts, an independent, college-preparatory high school for approximately 145 young artists, seeks a part-time counselor to work with students and to support staff 10-12 hours per week, spread out over the course of 2-3 days.
Under the direction of the Head of School, the School Counselor will be primarily responsible for supporting the emotional well being of referred, identified, or self-identified students. The ability to communicate well with adolescents, parents, and faculty/staff is essential; close collaboration with the Dean and department chairs is expected.
The Counselor will take an active role in determining if a student needs additional support outside of school, and knowledge of psycho-social resources in the community is critical.
Specific duties and responsibilities will include:
- Maintaining regular office hours to meet with students, families, and faculty/staff
- Providing crisis intervention and support services for students
- Maintaining on-going, confidential records of contacts and track emotional well being of students
- Keeping Principal and Dean informed of student issues
- Directing students and families toward appropriate outside resources for continued evaluation or counseling
- Giving faculty members guidance in handling specific student issues
- Working closely with the Dean in the development and implementation of health and wellness programs, related curricula, and community resources
The ideal candidate will have LPC/LCPC/LCSW credentials or a school counseling license and experience working with adolescents, be and will f multicultural and LGBT competent, and fully embrace The Academy’s unique mission and culture. Experience with independent schools is a plus. The Academy is committed to building a diverse staff and strongly encourages applications from people of color and from people of all other underrepresented groups.
Interested and qualified candidates should send a thoughtful letter of interest and resume to Jason Patera, Head of School, at email@example.com.
The Chicago Academy for the Arts does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, marital status, or handicap, in accordance with applicable laws.